16 April 2014

Roxbury's Colony

The town of Roxbury was one of the most ancient and influential in Massachusetts Colony. "The Roxbury people were the best that came from England," and filled many of the highest offices in the colonial government. Nothing was lacking for their growth and prosperity but a larger area of territory, their "limits being so scanty and not capable of enlargement" that several persons-"not having received the same benefit of issuing forth as other towns have done when it has pleased God to increase the inhabitants thereof in then posterity"-were compelled to remove out of the town and colony.

The inconvenience and difficulty accruing from these straitened limits induced its selectmen, William Park, John Bolles, Joseph Griggs, John Ruggles and Edward Morris, to petition the General Court, in October, 1683, for a tract of land seven miles square in this Nipmuck Country, "for the enlargement of the town and the encouragement of its inhabitants"-the land to be laid out "at Quinnatissel or thereabouts, if a convenient way may be found there." This request was granted on condition that an eight-mile tract previously bestowed on Robert Thompson, Stoughton, Dudley and other prominent gentlemen "have the first choice," and "that thirty families be settled on said plantation within three years and maintain among them an able and orthodox godly minister." Roxbury, in town meeting, January 21, 1684, accepted the honored Courts grant, and "did leave it to the selectmen, to consider of sending men to take a view of the place that may be most convenient." To facilitate communication with this new and barbarous region-"the way to Connecticut being very hazardous to travelers by reason of one deep river passing four or five times over"-Major Pyncheon was ordered by the General Court to mark and lay out a better and nearer one, and two Indians appointed to guide him on the way.

Messrs. Thompson and Dudley having selected for their grant the tract soon afterward incorporated as the township of Oxford, Lieutenant Samuel Ruggles, John Ruggles, John Curtis and Edward Morris were sent by Roxbury, in October, 1684, "to view the premises and find a convenient place to take up her grant." With Indian guides, these gentlemen proceeded to the Nipmuck wilderness, and spent due time in searching it. Quinnatisset, for which they had asked, was in part appropriated, but west of the Quinebaug, at Senexet and Wabbaquasset, they found land which afforded encouragement for the settlement of a township. The town voted, on their return, to accept of their information, yet gave liberty to any persons to go upon their own charge and take a view of said land, the town for once going being at charge of a pilot. At the same meeting, October 27, 1684, Master Dudley, Master Cowles, Deacon Parks, Lieutenant Ruggles and Edward Morris were appointed "to draw up, upon consideration, propositions that may be most equable and prudent for the settlement of the place, and present them to the town at the next town meeting after lecture." Inhabitants wishing to withdraw from any interest in the tract had liberty so to do without offense and be free from further charges. All others were held responsible for colony settlement and expenses.

Farther "views," confirming Roxbury in her choice of land at Wabbaquasset, negotiations were opened with Captain James Fitch for its purchase and a deed secured through the agency of Dudley and Stoughton.

The planting of her colony was viewed by Roxbury as a grave and momentous affair, requiring much care and deliberation. A general town meeting was called July 13, 1685, for the disposal and settlement of their new grant in the Nipmuck country, when it was agreed and ordered:- "That if there shall appear to the selectmen thirty persons or upwards who shall give in their names to plant and settle on the said lands, so as to fulfill the grant and conditions of the General Court referring to the same, they shall have to themselves and their heirs the full half of the whole tract of land, in one square, at their own choice, to be proportionally divided among them; and further, the town does engage to assist the said goers and planters with one hundred pounds money, to be paid in equal portions in five years, to be laid out in public buildings and charges as the old town of Roxbury shall annually determine. The rest of the inhabitants of the town shall have the remaining half, to be equally and proportionally divided to them, to be to them and their heirs forever."

The town adjourned to consider these propositions "until the morrow eight weeks"-when "this agreement and every article of particle thereof was read, voted and unanimously consented there to the contrary being put to vote not one appears therein." As an additional encouragement to settlers the town voted:- "That the estates left behind by goers should be free from rates for raising the hundred pounds allowed them, and that the amount should be entirely expended upon the settlers' half of the grant, and should annually be delivered by £20 a year into the hands of such men as the goers-out of Roxbury should depute, and by them be expended on public works, viz: meeting-house minister's house, mill, bridges, &c., and that subsequent settlers on Roxbury half should be liable to bear all public charges with them that go first."

To these liberal offers there was no lack of "subscribers." The hazards indeed were great, but the inducements surpassed them, and the requisite quota of men was soon made up. This emigration project excited great interest and enthusiasm in Roxbury and its vicinity. Town meetings were chiefly occupied with arranging the approaching exodus, plans and propositions were discussed in public and private, and people were only recognized in the capacity of go-ers and stay-ers. A number of pioneers volunteered to go out early in the spring, in advance of the others, break up land, plant it, and make some preparation for the main body of colonists. Their offer was accepted, and for their encouragement it was voted, at a town meeting March 4, 1686, "That such should have liberty to break up land, and plant anywhere they please for the present year, without being bound to accept it as their share of the grant." The colonists were allowed till September 29th to make and declare their choice of land, and was further yielded that they should have a surveyor with then to be assistant in finding the colony line and promotion of the present design, upon the charge of the whole town."

The thirteen pioneers-Benjamin Sabin, Jonathan Smithers, Henry Bowen, John Frizzel, Matthew Davis, Nath. Garey, Thomas Bacon John Marcy, Peter Aspinwall, Benjamin and George Griggs, Joseph Lord and Ebenezer Morris, recorded on its first book of records a "the men who went to spy out Woodstock"-left Roxbury about the first of April, 1686. Special religious services were probably held the Sunday preceding their departure. The venerable Mr. Eliot, pastor of the Church in Roxbury, could not but feel a deep interest in this attempt to colonize the scene of his former missionary labors. Infants were recorded by him as "baptized in the same week that we sent out our youth to make the new plantation," and doubtless many fervent prayers followed them on their perilous journey. By the fifth of April, these perils had been surmounted, and, according to the old record, "several persons came as planters and settlers, and took actual possession (by breaking up land and planting corn) of the land granted to Roxbury-(called by the planters New Roxbury); by the Ancient natives, Wapaquasset."

They found a desolate, deserted wilderness. No Indian inhabitants were visible; their forts and villages had been leveled; their cornfields had "run to waste." The tract was as yet un-surveyed and unbounded; the Massachusetts boundary line was unrecognizable. Following the course of the principal stream, past a picturesque lake, they came to a rich, open valley. A noble hill, bare also, lay to the westward-the Woodstock Hill of the present generation. On this "Plaine Hill" the pioneers established their head-quarters, put up shelters, selected land and planted it, and made what preparation was possible for the coming colony. A sawmill was built and set in operation, on a small brook running into the lake. This stream was called Sawmill Brook; the larger stream was probably named from Muddy Brook, of Roxbury.

In May, they were visited by Samuel Williams, Sen., Lieutenant Timothy Stevens and John Curtis, who, with John Gore as surveyor, came as committee from Roxbury, "to view the land, in order to the laying out of the same; settle the southern bounds (upon or near the colony line), and also to determine the length and breadth of the General Court's grant as they judged most convenient for the town in general, that so the first Goers may make choice of their half thereof." Eleven days were spent by Mr. Gore in making the needful surveys and measurements-Massachusetts' south boundary line evaded their search, so they made a station about one and a half miles south of Plaine Hill, and thence marked trees east and west for the south line of their grant, nearly two miles south of the invisible Woodward's and Saffery's line, thus securing to Massachusetts another strip of Connecticut territory. After careful survey and explorations, the committee decided-"if the first goers chose the south side of the tract, to lay the town eight miles in width, from east to west, and six and a half miles from north to south, or so much as should be needful to make up the complement-but if they desire to divide by a line from north to south, it should be six miles from east to west, and eight from north to south."

The committee returned to Roxbury to report their proceedings by June 12th. The time for the departure of the colonists was now approaching. More than the requisite thirty were already enrolled, but permission was now given to persons of other towns whose estates or other qualifications might be beneficial, to be admitted with the Goers and share their privileges-"if the selectmen of Roxbury and other Goers do approve them." Lieutenant Samuel Ruggles, Timothy Stevens, and Samuel Williams, Sen., were chosen a committee for the new town till the following year, "to issue any differences that may arise among them." July 21, an especial meeting was held Roxbury, "of a certain number of inhabitants under the denomination of Go-ers," for the more orderly settling the aforesaid village grant,-when the following agreement was adopted:

I. That every man should take up what number of acres he pleaseth his home-lot, not exceeding thirty-and after-rights and divisions of land shall arise, according to the proportion of his home-lot; and all after-charge to arise proportionably upon the home-lots for the first six years.

II. That whoever shall neglect the payment of his rate two months after rate, made and demanded, shall forfeit for every five shillings two acres of his home-lot, with all proportionable rights, and so consequently, more or less according to his failure; always provided that they take not his house or orchard-this forfeiture shall be to those chosen by the company as selectmen, to be improved by them for the use of the public, which rates shall be paid by the public, the person forfeited excepted, which agreement shall stand the first six years.

III. If any meadows should fall out to be in any one's home-lot, it shall be accounted as so much of his proportion of meadow, and his home-lot made with upland.

IV. That all persons that have planted in the year 1686 shall have two acres of his home-lot free for the first three years, and shall enjoy the land the planted in 1687 and '88, though it fall out in any other person's home-lot.

V. That within one month they will go personally to their new plantation and there make further agreements, divisions and settlements.

The subjoined list gives the names of those who fulfilled this agreement and took personal possession of the new plantation:-

Edward Morris. Peter Aspinwall. Samuel Scarborough.
Ebenezer Morris. John Frizzel. Samuel Craft.
James Corbin. Joseph Frizzel. Samuel May.
Benjamin Sabin. Jonathan Smithers. Samuel Peacock.
Thomas Bacon. John Butcher. Joseph Bugbee.
Joseph Bacon. Jonathan Davis. John Bugbee.
Henry Bowen. Jonathan Peake. Arthur Humphrey.
John Bowen. Joseph Peake. John Ruggles.
William Lyon, Sen. John Hubbard. Andrew Watkins.
Thomas Lyon. George Griggs. John Marcy.
William Lyon, Jun. Nathaniel Garey. John Holmes.
Matthew Davis. Nathaniel Johnson. John Chandler, Jun.
Ebenezer Cass. John Leavens.
John Chandler, Sen. Nathaniel Sanger.

These Colonists were all men of good position and character, connected with the best families of Roxbury. Edward Morris, Samuel Scarborough, Samuel Craft, John Chandler and William Lyon, Senion Jonathan Peake and Henry Bowen were men advanced in years, going out with grown up sons to the new settlement, leaving estates behind them. A larger number were young men with growing families. A few were still unmarried. None were admitted as proprietors under nineteen years of age. All were inhabitants of Roxbury but Peter Aspinwall of Dorchester, and John Butcher, James Corbin and John Holmes, from neighboring towns, admitted into the company by consent of the selectmen of Roxbury. Benjamin Sabin had removed recently from Rehoboth, driven thence it is said in the Narraganset War.

From: History of Windham County, Connecticut. By by Ellen Douglas Larned. Worcester, MA: 1880.

15 April 2014

Scoville Family of Haddam and Waterbury

John Scoville or Scofield was born in England, settled early in Farmington, Connecticut, and died in 1712. He removed to Waterbury and thence to Haddam, Connecticut. He married, March 29, 1666, Sarah, daughter of Thomas Barnes. Children: John, mentioned below, William and Benjamin.

(II) John (2) Scoville, "ye soon of John of Haddam," according to the town records of Waterbury, married Hannah Richards, "ye daughter of Obadiah Febra 6, 1693." She died at Waterbury, March 5, 1720, and he died January 26, 1726-27. Children, born at Waterbury: John, January 12, 1694; Obadiah, April 23, 1697, died February 23, 1718-19; Sarah, October 24, 1700; William, September 7, 1703, mentioned below; Hannah, March 19, 1706-07; Edward, February 12, 1710-11.

(III) William, son of John (2) Scoville, was born at Waterbury, September 7, 1703. He married (first) April 17, 1729, Hannah, daughter of John Richards. She died April 1, 1741, and he married (second) Elizabeth, daughter of James Brown, June 16, 1742. She died May 6, 1752, and he married (third) Desire Sanford, widow of Caleb Cooper, of New Haven. William Scoville died March 5, 1755, and his widow married Deacon Jonathan Garnsey. Children of first wife: Anna, born March 25, 1731; James, January 27, 1732-33; Samuel, November 4, 1735; Abijah, December 27, 1738. Children of second wife: William, February 9, 1744-45, mentioned below; Darius, May 15, 1746.

(IV) William (2), son of William (1) Scoville, was born in Waterbury, February 9, 1744-45, died August 13, 1827. A William Scoville, credited to the town of Haddam was in the revolution. He married Sarah, daughter of Samuel Brown, December 24, 1767. He resided in Waterbury and Watertown. He was a farmer and deacon of the church. Children, the first three of whom were born at Waterbury, the others recorded at Watertown: Bethel, born June 6, 1769, died June 6, 1775; Elizabeth, July 31, 1771, died January 14, 1774; William, September 29, 1775, died October 16, 1779; Elizabeth, July 31, 1777; Eliza, August 4, 1783, married Rev. Elias Scoville; Samuel, mentioned below.

(V) Samuel Brown, son of William (2) Scoville, was born July 11, 1786, died in 1866. He lived and died in Watertown, where he followed farming all his life. He married, in Plymouth, February 27, 1811, Ruth Langdon, of Watertown. Children, born at Watertown: 1. Sarah Elizabeth, born September 23, 1812; married Milo Hoadley, April 27, 1831, who removed to California in 1849, died May 6, 1887; Mrs. Hoadley died in San Francisco in 1890, aged seventy-eight years. 2. Mary Langdon, born October 26, 1817; married (first) Josiah Dayton, December 25, 1837; George S. Atwood, February 8, 1853. 3. William, mentioned below.

(VI) William (3), son of Samuel Brown Scoville, was born in Watertown, December 20, 1821, died in Bridgeport, June 30, 1890. He was reared on his father's farm, educated in district schools, and he taught school in Watertown three years; then left home and went west, settling in Ohio and engaging in the mercantile business. After a few years he was called home, owing to his mother's illness, to carry on the homestead to which he succeeded after his father's death. In addition to farming, he also for a number of years drove the stage and carried the mail to Hartford. He was a member of the Protestant Episcopal Church Society. He married (first), September 24, 1843, Harriet L. Judd. They had two children: 1. Mary Harriet, born August 15, 1845, died May 6, 1886; married David Hard, January 1, 1869. 2. Samuel Chandler, born April 14, 1848, died October 1, 1852. He married (second) December 21, 1852, Sarah Beecher Bronson, born in Middlebury, April 29, 1826, died in Bridgeport, January 14, 1905, daughter of Joseph Perry and Hannah Bronson, granddaughter of Dr. Abel and Esther (Beecher) Bronson, of an old Waterbury family. Their only child was Annie Bronson, born August 28, 1860, married Frederick Harvey Gregory, of Bridgeport (see Gregory II).

Source: Cutter,
William Richard. Genealogical and Family History of the State of Connecticut: A Record of the Achievements of Her People in the Making of a Commonwealth and the Founding of a Nation. New York, NY, USA: Lewis Publishing Company, 1911.

30 March 2014

Whittemore Genealogy

The surname Whittemore is identical with Whitmore, which is a more common spelling in the English family. The name is of local origin, the original family taking their name from the manor of Whitmore or Whytemere of Staffordshire, England. This manor was granted by the Conqueror to Ricardus Forestarius, according to the Domesday Book (1086), and he had as tenants Ulfac, Aldwin, Arnulf and Avisa. It is supposed that Avisa was the Saxon owner of the place. Avisa de Whitmore also held lands from the Conqueror in the hundreds of Pirehill, Staffordshire, and Prodford, Salop. The family was originally designated by the name of de Botrel, Botreaux, Boterel, or Boterell, from a Norman estate. The first Duke of Brittany, Godfrey, was of this family. When Whitmore came into possession of the family the members were distinguished by the designation de Whitmore, which later became a surname.

(I) The Whitmores of Staffordshire, England, were originally termed de Botrel. The name of the father of William de Botrel (1100-35) and his brother, Peter de Botrel, is unknown. William had a son William (1158-63).

(II) Peter de Botrel, of Staffordshire, had a son Radulph or Ralph.

(III) Ralph de Botrel, born 1152, died 1171; married twice. His son William by the first wife married Avisa de Whitmore. William (IV) (1174) had a son Reginald (V) (1204-16), who had a son named Robert (VI) (1238), who had a son Robert (VII) (1260). This is not the American line. That descends from the second wife, by her son Ralph de Botrel, and not by Rad Fitz Wetmore (1200-40), an illegitimate son. Rad had a son Will le Burgvyllon (1242-54).

(IV) Ralph de Botrel had a son, Sir John.

(V) Sir John de Whitmore married Agnes - (1252-76-) and had at least three sons: John, Lord of Whitmore, founder of what the genealogists call the Counton line; William, married Alice Fenners, had son Philip (VII), founded what is called the Claverly branch; Ralph (VI).

(VI) John Whitmore, son of Sir John Whitmore, married Margerie - (1270-1301).

(VII) Richard of Whitmore married Susannah, daughter of Sir Philip Draycote, knight, and had: Jane, married John Blunt; Mary, married John Gifford; Beatrix, married John Chetwind; Christina, married Richard Fleetwood; Philip.

(VIII) Philip Whitmore married Thomasine, daughter of Richard Oliver (?), and had a son Richard Whitmore.

(IX) Richard Whitmore, son of Philip Whitmore, married (first) a daughter of Sir Ralph Bagot; married (second) a daughter of Richard Devereux; married (third) a daughter of Simon Harcourt, probably of Ellenhall, Staffordshire, and by his third wife had son Nicholas.

(X) Nicholas Whitmore, son of Richard Whitmore, married Annie, daughter of Thomas Aston, of Tixall, Staffordshire, and had: Mary, married William Lusone, Anthony.

(XI) Anthony Whitmore, son of Nicholas Whitmore, married Christina Vaux, daughter and heir of Nicholas Vaux, and had: Joan, William.

(XII) William Whitmore, son of Anthony Whitmore, had a son John.

(XIII) John Whitmore, of Caunton, second son of William Whitmore, in the reign of Henry VI., married (first) Alice, daughter and heir of Robert Blyton, of Caunton, county Notts; married (second) Catherine, daughter and heir of Robert Compton, of Hawton (Visitation of York 1563), and had: William; Robert, who was the heir.

(XIV) Robert Whitmore, son of John Whitmore, of Caunton, married (first) Catherine, daughter of George Claye, of Finningly, county Notts (Visitation of Yorkshire), and had a son William, the heir, who married a daughter of John Ridley. William of Rotterdam died in 1568. Robert Whitmore married (second) Alice Atwoode, of Harlington, Bedfordshire. He died at Caunton in 1540. By this marriage the children were: Richard, died without issue, 1559; John, living in 1545; Charles, died 1568; Thomas, living in 1559, probably died about 1603; Edmund, living in 1559; Rowland, living in 1591; James; Randall, and three daughters. Thomas Whitmore, Sr., of Hitchin, was the son of Edmund or Rowland, sons of Robert. Hitchin is the parish where the emigrant Thomas Whitmore was born, and he was the son of another Thomas Whitmore, as will be seen later.

(XV) Charles Whitmore, son of Robert Whitmore, died in 1568. He lived at Tuxforth, county Notts. His children were: William, died 1582 in county Notts; John, supposed to have lived in Staffordshire and died 1571; Robert, died 1608; Richard, died 1578; James, died 1614; Thomas, the elder, died 1649; Roger, of Hitchin; Christopher, of county Beds, died 1640; four daughters, and a posthumous child supposed to be George. Three of the sons spelled the name Whittamore, three spelled it Watmore, and one Whitmore, the spelling that has prevailed in England.

(XVI) Thomas Whitmore, son of Charles Whitmore, lived in Hitchin, county of Hertford, England. He married Mary -. His two sons emigrated to New England; Thomas to Malden, Massachusetts, and John to Stamford, Connecticut. Thomas, of Malden, is the ancestor of most of the American Whittemores. John Whitmore, of Stamford, had a daughter Elizabeth and son John Whittemore, who was of age in 1649, lived at Stamford and Middletown, Connecticut.

(XVII) Thomas Whittemore, son of Thomas Whitmore, was born at Hitchin, Hertfordshire, England. He came to New England prior to 1640, for at that time he was in Charlestown, Massachusetts, on the Mystic side, which later was the town of Malden, and signed a petition with neighbors for better privileges in 1640. He bought land there of Mr. John Cotton in 1645. This lot adjoined his home lot and is now in the city of Everett, Massachusetts. It remained in the Whittemore family until May 1, 1845, over two hundred years after he bought it. The site of the first dwelling place is not known. He married (first) -; (second) Sarah Deardes, April 14, 1623, in England. She was buried November 17, 1628. He married (third) Hannah -, who, according to her deposition in 1662, was born in 1612. She married (second) Benjamin Butterfield, June 3, 1663, at Chelmsford, Massachusetts. Thomas Whittemore died at Malden, May 25, 1661. His will was proved June 25, 1661. Children of Thomas Whittemore were: Sarah, baptized April 14, 1616; Mary, baptized May 12, 1624; Thomas, baptized October 6, 1626, lived in England; Daniel, baptized July 31, 1633; John, baptized April 27, buried April 29, 1635; Nathaniel, baptized May 1, 1636, married Mary Knower, left no male descendants; John, baptized February 11, 1638-39; Elizabeth; Benjamin, died July 16, 1726; Thomas; Samuel, died September 15, 1726; Peletiah; Abraham, died January 14, 1690-91.

(XVIII) Daniel, son of Thomas Whittemore, was born in Hitchin, Hertfordshire, England, and baptized there July 31, 1633. He married Mary, daughter of Richard Mellins, of Charlestown, March 7, 1662. Richard Mellins removed from Charlestown to Weymouth, where he was admitted a freeman, September 7, 1639.

Daniel Whittemore inherited the homestead from his father and settled on it. He bequeathed the homestead to his sons Daniel and John, the latter being the father of John Whittemore, of Leicester. The will was nuncupative and was not proved until two years after his death. His widow Mary was the administratrix. Children of Daniel Whittemore: Daniel, born April 27, 1663, died September 21, 1756; John, February 12, 1664-65, died 1730; Thomas, March 5, 1667; Mary, February 15, 1668-69; Nathaniel, February 7, 1670; Peletiah, 1680; James.

(XIX) John, son of Daniel Whittemore, married Ruth Bassett. She and her sister, Lydia Bassett, who married his brother, Daniel Whittemore, were daughters of Joseph Bassett, son of the emigrant, William Bassett, who came over in the "Fortune" in 1621, lived at Duxbury, Massachusetts, in 1637, was deputy to the general court in 1640-41-42-43-44; Bassett joined Governor Bradford and others in the purchase of Dartmouth, Massachusetts, and removed to Bridgewater, where he died in 1667. John Whittemore died in 1730. His wife Ruth was appointed administratrix, April 3, 1730. His whole estate was appraised at five hundred and three pounds. Children of John and Ruth Whittemore were: John, born September 12, 1694; Jeremiah; Joseph, Benjamin, Patience; David, April 6, 1706; Deborah, March 1, 1707-08; Peletiah, October 30, 1710.

(XX) Jeremiah Whittemore, son of John Whittemore, was born in Malden, Massachusetts, 1695. He married (first) in Boston, March 15, 1722, Patience, seventh daughter of Israel and Mary Reed, of Woburn, Massachusetts. She was born December 3, 1699, died in Weston, October 24, 1745; she was received in the Weston Church from the church in Chelsea, February 26, 1726-27. They were then living in Weston. He married (second) May 10, 1746, Abigail Wooley, of Concord. He died in Concord, Massachusetts, March 31, 1783, aged eighty-eight years. His children were by the first wife: Jeremiah, born in Concord, August 16, 1723; Isaac, born in Weston, Massachusetts, November 15, 1726, married, May 9, 1751, Ruth Bullard, who died October 10, 1764, Patience, January 20, 1729-30; Israel, July 10, 1732; Asa, August 7, 1736, died April 12, 1746.

(XXI) Jeremiah Whittemore, son of Jeremiah Whittemore, was born in Concord, Massachusetts, August 16, 1723, died at Spencer, Massachusetts, May 14, 1803. He went from Weston to settle in Spencer in 1760. Some of his children were born before he moved, some after. He married Mary Carter. Their children were: Amos, died 1751; Asa, born November 10, 1749; Reuben, April 29, 1754; Mary, born in Weston; Tamar, June 18, 1756; Sybil, January 17, 1758; Aaron, Spencer, March 1, 1762, mentioned below; Esther, Spencer, December 28, 1764; Jeremiah, Spencer, February 21, 1766; Sarah, Spencer, March 16, 1768.

(XXII) Aaron Whittemore, son of Jeremiah Whittemore, was born at Spencer, March 1, 1762. He lived in Spencer and Leicester. He married Sally Baker. Children: Abigail, born 1790; Aaron, 1791; Esther, 1792; Amos, mentioned below; Isaac, 1796; Sally, 1799; Mary, 1801.

(XXIII) Amos Whittemore, son of Aaron Whittemore, was born in Spencer, 1793, died in 1853 in Middlefield, Massachusetts. He married Clarissa Hamilton, of Chester, Massachusetts. He lived at Washington, Massachusetts. Children: Franklin J., mentioned below; William, lived and died in Hartford, Connecticut.

(XXIV) Dr. Franklin J. Whittemore, son of Amos Whittemore, was born at Washington, Massachusetts, January 15, 1828. He attended the public schools and the Williston Seminary at Easthampton and studied medicine at the University of New York, graduating with the degree of M.D. in 1851. He settled in Plymouth, Connecticut, and rapidly built up a reputation for skill and good judgment and became much beloved and honored in the community. He held various offices of trust and honor in the community. He removed to New Haven in May, 1868, and for fifteen years had a large and lucrative practice in that city. He was surgeon general of the state of Connecticut on the staff of Governor Jewell. In 1883 he removed to Clyde, Ohio. He married, October, 1851, Fallah, daughter of Eli Terry, Jr. (see Terry VIII). She died in April, 1864. Children: Dr. Frank Hamilton, mentioned below, William Richardson; Clara; Lily.

(XXV) Dr. Frank Hamilton Whittemore, son of Dr. Franklin J. Whittemore, was born at Plymouth, Connecticut, July 6, 1854. He attended the Hopkins Grammar School of New Haven, and studied his profession in the Bellevue Medical School of New York, graduating in the class of 1875. He was on the staff of the Jersey City Charity Hospital for two years. Then he located at New Haven, where he has been in general practice since, and one of the leading physicians of the city. He is a member of the State, County and City Medical Associations and the Graduates Club. He married, October 19, 1876, Amelia, born January 26, 1854, daughter of Isaac T. and Martha A. (Ingersoll) Rogers, of Milford. They have one son, Edward Reed, born July 23, 1877, was educated in St. Paul's School at Concord, Massachusetts, and graduated from Yale with class of 1898; studied medicine in the College of Physicians and Surgeons, New York City, graduating in 1902; was interned at the Roosevelt Hospital in New York, and was also at the Sloan Maternity Hospital in New York. He returned to New Haven and is associated with his father in the practice of medicine and surgery at 69 Elm street, New Haven. He is attending surgeon at St. Raphael's Hospital and assistant surgeon at the New Haven Hospital. He married, June 23, 1906, Phyllis Annie, born August 11, 1883, daughter of Alexander Hall Roe, of Napanee, Ontario, Canada.

Source: Cutter, William Richard. Genealogical and Family History of the State of Connecticut: A Record of the Achievements of Her People in the Making of a Commonwealth and the Founding of a Nation. New York, NY, USA: Lewis Publishing Company, 1911.